Switchto.ng is an awareness campaign jointly sponsored by National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA), an agency of the Ministry of Communication Technology.
Click here for more information about NITDA www.nitda.gov.ng
The goals and objectives of the Switchto.ng campaign are to:
- Educate the public on the existence of the .ng (country code Top Level Domain) as Nigeria's identity on the internet.
- Provide a forum for Government Ministries, Departments and Agencies to understand the policies and procedures for registration of .gov.ng domains
- Provide an opportunity for NiRA accredited registrars who can provide information for domain name registration to engage with the public
- Promote the use of .ng domains across the six geo-politial zones of Nigeria
- Provide information on the Infrastructure and technical overview of managing the .ng domain system.
- Allow exchange of information between the ICT stakeholders both public and private.
- Discuss Cybersecurity as it relates to Internet email scam due to use of non .ng domiciled domain name extension
NiRA Site www.nira.org.ng
From NiRA COO's Desk
Welcome to NiRA switchto.ng campaign website. It is my hope that you will find the information on the site useful. I thought I should use this corner to highlight some unique features of the .ng platform and why you should switchto.ng platform.
- The hierarchical structure of the .ng Registry and the restrictions to characters and figures afford certain advantages.
- The possibility of introducing new second level domains to serve specific trades or interest groups. i.e thisday.ng
- With a TLD as .ng, Nigeria’s country code assumes a global significance for many words by coupling of the TLD with any of the vowels of the English language. i.e. Fishi.ng, Samsu.ng
- The uniqueness of the .ng ccTLD has seen firms like Google, Microsoft Domain Developers Fund taking up googli.ng; bi.ng; et cetera since the Second Level was opened up.
Why You should use .ng
- .NG (like our currency Naira and +234 for country code) is the official ICANN approved ccTLD for Nigeria
- Availability of Names is better on the .ng ccTLD than on the gTLDs like .com, .org.
- Branding and Geo targeting of local content to the Nigerian market
- Security – Our primary DNS servers are secured and locally managed with multiple Any cast servers located around the world.
- Support the Nigerian Economy and provide jobs for local IT professionals
- Because you are a Patriotic PROUD Nigerian!